Finbar and I just walked to MacDonalds in the rain (with umbrellas - never fear - the campervan is equipped). I say rain.. I really mean crazy big storm; lightning every few seconds and we got fairly drenched just from the drops hitting the ground so hard that it bounced up. Two McFlurries please. I'll have the Daim one. Extra caramel? Well if you say so...naughty..
Look at me, updating regularly. Well, there's a reason other than it being a good idea to keep your blog updated regularly. I'm uploading a video, see. A YouTube video. That's right - I've finally managed to record a new song. Living in Das Camper has some funny quirks but for the most part it's not all that difficult. There are things like walking 5 minutes outside to use a bathroom/take a shower, and it's very difficult to keep pots/pans/dishes clean when we have no running water (we've been staying in carparks for...3 weeks now), but when you don't have real jobs it's still less than an hour out of every day...which is...mostly free.
I busked two and a half hours today, but I didn't really need to. We're not paying any campsite fees at the moment and have a hypermarche and Lidl up the road for cheap groceries. This has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Shut up David. The video. You'll see it (as I'll make you watch it), and think "Why on earth did that take two weeks to get done?", "He didn't even shave?", "That's clearly just taken on Dara's mobile phone". You'd be right on all three. But it turns out to be very, very difficult to find the right time, place and equipment to record a song when you live in a van. For the last 10 days there has been music blaring everywhere in a mile radius with the festival.. Oh well. It'll do. Just need to get famous then people will make videos for me. And assorted icecream flavours. All involving pistachio. And huge pointlessly oversized lollipops. I won't even open those. I'll just have them on display - to show you that you can't have them. David gets the lollipops. You're not even famous. Who are you?
So here it is, I hope you like it, if you don't, I hope you'll tell me, as I'm taking this whole thing quite seriously these days, so it'd be good to get any kind of feedback. If you do like it, it'd be wonderful if you hit the share button or whatever for my new Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/davidowensofficial ) - guess I should try and promote it and all that.
Anyway, what actual news? I got up really early today. 8.30am in fact. Earliest I've been up in a month. Didn't get any sleep really with loads of noise in the carpark for some reason. But I was determined. Fed up of hippies. Fed up of sleep-ins til 3. Fed up of going from city to city, and only seeing drinking spots and busking spots. Time to be a tourist. And it was awesome. I was in Toulouse by 9.30. Went to a cathedral, a church, and small aeroplane and art exhibitions
before finding a busking spot and making enough for the day before lunchtime. I had a really weird thing happen actually - a homeless old man sat down opposite me and listened for a good while. Then he came up and in our broken languages he explained that he didn't have much, but would like to give me a bag of coppers he had. I didn't know what to do. I mean, he was clearly homeless and poor and old. There was about 50 cent in there. But I couldn't exactly turn it away either, or offer him some of the money from my case, without seeming like I'm turning my nose at him - there's always the chance that that's what he was hoping for, but if he wasn't...jesus that'd be bad... So I acted as grateful as I possibly could and accepted. It was really strange. Really cool though. Definitely one of the moments I'd hope to remember for the rest of my life. I wasn't sure what to do with it after (as awesome as it was, we find it very difficult to get rid of coppers), but luckily there was a beggar kid sitting next to the ATM nearby, who got excited and kept giving me the thumbs up when I played Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars. So I have him the bag after. It felt really good, the world sort of evening out with everyone happy. Just hope it wasn't his grandad. Anyway. It's so easy to get into a habit of drinking every night and sleeping in as...well, drinking is fun. But it's nice to feel productive again. Guess that's part of the reason for the video too. When we got home I had it in my head - I needed to get it done tonight. Completely changed the strumming pattern in the last 24 hours (we tried to record yesterday but my plucking wasn't loud enough, so went busk-style on it), but it was time. And I'm happy with it. It's rough, I don't look good at all, but it's a decent representation of the song.....and hey, maybe people will like the song.
So here's a mid-year resolution. More early mornings, more time for things.
Look at me, updating regularly. Well, there's a reason other than it being a good idea to keep your blog updated regularly. I'm uploading a video, see. A YouTube video. That's right - I've finally managed to record a new song. Living in Das Camper has some funny quirks but for the most part it's not all that difficult. There are things like walking 5 minutes outside to use a bathroom/take a shower, and it's very difficult to keep pots/pans/dishes clean when we have no running water (we've been staying in carparks for...3 weeks now), but when you don't have real jobs it's still less than an hour out of every day...which is...mostly free.
I busked two and a half hours today, but I didn't really need to. We're not paying any campsite fees at the moment and have a hypermarche and Lidl up the road for cheap groceries. This has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Shut up David. The video. You'll see it (as I'll make you watch it), and think "Why on earth did that take two weeks to get done?", "He didn't even shave?", "That's clearly just taken on Dara's mobile phone". You'd be right on all three. But it turns out to be very, very difficult to find the right time, place and equipment to record a song when you live in a van. For the last 10 days there has been music blaring everywhere in a mile radius with the festival.. Oh well. It'll do. Just need to get famous then people will make videos for me. And assorted icecream flavours. All involving pistachio. And huge pointlessly oversized lollipops. I won't even open those. I'll just have them on display - to show you that you can't have them. David gets the lollipops. You're not even famous. Who are you?
So here it is, I hope you like it, if you don't, I hope you'll tell me, as I'm taking this whole thing quite seriously these days, so it'd be good to get any kind of feedback. If you do like it, it'd be wonderful if you hit the share button or whatever for my new Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/davidowensofficial ) - guess I should try and promote it and all that.
Anyway, what actual news? I got up really early today. 8.30am in fact. Earliest I've been up in a month. Didn't get any sleep really with loads of noise in the carpark for some reason. But I was determined. Fed up of hippies. Fed up of sleep-ins til 3. Fed up of going from city to city, and only seeing drinking spots and busking spots. Time to be a tourist. And it was awesome. I was in Toulouse by 9.30. Went to a cathedral, a church, and small aeroplane and art exhibitions
before finding a busking spot and making enough for the day before lunchtime. I had a really weird thing happen actually - a homeless old man sat down opposite me and listened for a good while. Then he came up and in our broken languages he explained that he didn't have much, but would like to give me a bag of coppers he had. I didn't know what to do. I mean, he was clearly homeless and poor and old. There was about 50 cent in there. But I couldn't exactly turn it away either, or offer him some of the money from my case, without seeming like I'm turning my nose at him - there's always the chance that that's what he was hoping for, but if he wasn't...jesus that'd be bad... So I acted as grateful as I possibly could and accepted. It was really strange. Really cool though. Definitely one of the moments I'd hope to remember for the rest of my life. I wasn't sure what to do with it after (as awesome as it was, we find it very difficult to get rid of coppers), but luckily there was a beggar kid sitting next to the ATM nearby, who got excited and kept giving me the thumbs up when I played Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars. So I have him the bag after. It felt really good, the world sort of evening out with everyone happy. Just hope it wasn't his grandad. Anyway. It's so easy to get into a habit of drinking every night and sleeping in as...well, drinking is fun. But it's nice to feel productive again. Guess that's part of the reason for the video too. When we got home I had it in my head - I needed to get it done tonight. Completely changed the strumming pattern in the last 24 hours (we tried to record yesterday but my plucking wasn't loud enough, so went busk-style on it), but it was time. And I'm happy with it. It's rough, I don't look good at all, but it's a decent representation of the song.....and hey, maybe people will like the song.
So here's a mid-year resolution. More early mornings, more time for things.



No comments:
Post a Comment