Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hippies and a Ceili

So it's been a week since my last update. Not really sure what to write about - I didn't really do all that much. Spent most of the time playing music and hating hippies. There are a few things though.

I hate hippies. Which is strange, considering many would consider me one. I juggle, I live in a van touring around Europe, I enjoy copious amounts of drugs. Only messing. Hippies don't do drugs. Just me. But really - being around them constantly for a week it starts to get to you. I got offered a massage today, while walking past a playground. But I couldn't take it. I just couldn't. And I really wanted a massage too. My shoulder's sore. One day I was sitting in the grass talking to people and playing guitar, and of course I had a 1.5 litre bottle of sangria and a big packet of crisps on hand. They weren't so bad with the sangria, but my crisps didn't last long at all. Hippies I wasn't even talking to sometimes. They just seem to think everything is for sharing. It's not for sharing, hippies. Those are my crisps.

Anyway.

Saw some cool things though, there was the European unicycling competition thing. I didn't realise unicycling was an extreme sport now. It's kinda cool. Not really cool though - I'm sure the tricks are hard but they just don't look all that amazing.

Saw tonnes of really good juggling and circus shows though. Like 2-3 hours a day. I'm all showed out. This one was pretty cool - balancing 8 balls and a balloon with hairdryers..


Got pretty drunk every night too. Really need a break from all the drinking. Was awesome to hang out with some of the Irish jugglers and get to know them a little better. Especially Brendan. I mean I already know him pretty well, but he's pretty damn cool. Whenever we're at something like this we end up reminiscing about Sziget festival years ago. I'd love to go again. I will go again. What else...

Oh, there was a Ceili last night, in honour of the EJC (European Juggling Convention) being in Cork next year:



I won't be going. Not necessarily because of me preferring music festivals to juggling ones, but also as I'll be away. On a cruise. My amazing American uncles decided to buy a cruise for all the "kids" in the family. So cool. Big respect. I bet you're not going on a cruise though, are you? I bet you'll be stuck in work, working for the man. Working for the man to bring home your pay and buy a bigger car to put your giant plasma screen TV in. Choose life. I bet you won't be happy though - you're never happy. Smile every now and again for God's sake. Or don't, actually. Your smile isn't all that nice anyway.

It's been good for music though - finished another song. So now I have two songs that I'm actually happy with. Really need to get them recorded. Maybe tomorrow. Gonna start pushing it on people then. Time to get famous. Might even pay for some advertising if I'm happy with the videos. Thoughts?

Also, Dara hurt his shoulder a few days ago and can't really juggle. You may think this is a bad thing, but in fact it's fantastic. It means he can only work on our music project - in which he draws things based on my lyrics, which are projected (yes, we have a projector in the van..), while I play my songs. I'm really excited about this - it being different to the usual acoustic-singer-songwriter thing means I might be able to get some gigs once I have enough stuff, and he drew some stuff for it before and I think it really fits. Who knows. He's working on it across from me in the van right now actually. Hi Dara. We need a name though. 

So David's pretty happy. Missing my family a fair bit at the moment - they're all at a big get together in Sligo this week. Aforementioned American uncles are over visiting too. Staying in my room...though I guess it's not my room anymore. That's a strange thought. This trip'll easily be the longest I'll have been away from them ever. Hopefully I'll get home for a good while at Christmas - maybe 3 weeks or something. My Granny reads this blog now apparently, too. Which is pretty cool, but I should probably try and keep it a little family-safe. Though the trip has been pretty okay for that. I often get messages from people asking if there's actually far more to things than implied - I haven't mentioned anything about girls on the trip really. I'm sorry - there are no girls. I'm not actually a rockstar. Yet. As for now, we're gonna stay in Toulouse for a bit as we haven't been to the city yet, then start making our way up North. I'm really excited about Berlin - we hope to stay there at least a month. It's got traffic lights for juggling shows, a great graffiti scene, good busking spots and an acoustic music scene too. Perfect. 







4 comments:

  1. "Gonna start pushing it on people then. Time to get famous. Might even pay for some advertising if I'm happy with the videos. Thoughts? " Pressed to hear that! I mean, I really like your voice and there is no really recent videos on your youtube account.. :( haha

    Anyway, it's a real pleasure to read you ;)


    xxx
    Z. a French girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Zoe, that's really nice of you! Made my day! :) Yeah I've made a new facebook and gonna make a new youtube account in the next few days and put up a video, just been trying to finish a song I actually like before I record it :p Are you Zoe from La Rochelle or another Zoe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No no, it's me Zoe from La Rochelle ;))) (lovely surname lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's not for sharing hippies, those are my crisps" maybe you should stop OFFERING them, David all the time. Besides, t-mcgee was offering no shirt in exchange...I know you liked what was going on there.

    ReplyDelete