Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Autographs and Florists

La Rochelle has been great fun so far. I've been busking in the evenings as it's far too hot during the day. With the music festival there's huge foot traffic so I've been doing well each night. Just playing on my own at the moment - Finbar's trying to facepaint but not having much success (I think he should switch to the graffiti canvas stuff), while Dara seems to be sort of down and not really doing anything at all. Maybe he misses Anna, not sure. He'll need to come out of it soon though - Alex suggested the two of them juggle together today to busk but Dara didn't follow up on it, so it was only me that brought in money again. I'm okay with it to a point - Finbar's figuring out what to do, and the original plan was for Dara and I to do street shows. But not to do anything at all is a bit much. I'd say the two of them would have pulled in tonnes yesterday, it was mobbed...  I dunno. It sounds more ranty than it really is - it's starting to get to me a little but I'm still holding out hope that they'll start making some and then I can take a few days off - I've busked every day pretty much since we left.
The living is pretty easy here though. Staying free in a car park beside the beach. It's full of campervans so it's quite safe, and there's a shower about 30 seconds walk from where we're parked. Not as nice as a campsite, but for absolutely nothing you can't really complain. Plus it's pretty damn awesome to get up and walk 30 seconds until you're standing on a beautiful beach full of people. The heat is crazy, so it's hard to work during the day - I've been reading lots and sleeping. Properly living for the evenings. Routine is usually to get up around 1 or 2, hit the beach for a swim, then I practice a little/or do whatever chores need to be done, before busking in town in the evening. Been drinking every night here since we arrived. Today a really nice gay couple (and both florists, awesome!) offered to buy me a drink after I finished so we got a beer and walked around the city, they showed me lots of nice old buildings. Two of the other nights we were hanging around with 3 french girls but they don't really speak English and aren't all that much fun, so I'd rather make different friends if possible! It's been completely legal to drink on the street during the festival period - we haven't even entered a bar since arriving, but apparently there's none of that anymore from today.
Lollibop have moved to a campsite - the police came along and told them you can't have tents here. It's definitely good though - the confined space was starting to get to us on both sides I think. And we were a little annoyed that one of them took tonnes of our wine one night. Like I'm all for sharing, but literally downing like a third of the big bottle, when that was our only booze we brought in, and on my birthday...it was pretty uncool. Different mindset, I guess..no hard feelings though, and we'll probably still camp near them until Toulouse. You're always gonna get some problems when you try to fit that many people in a small space. It's funny though - now that they're gone the van feels huge. So I guess it was good overrall :)
I'm currently lying in bed typing this - it's raining outside. First drop since we left. It's a nice change. I can hear the festival pretty loudly too - might have to wear ear plugs. Would have liked to have gone and paid in but the forty I made tonight will have to go on groceries etc. Was a funny night actually - a big group of like 12 year old girls all asked me to autograph their arms. Never done autographs before. Guess I'm getting famous.. My voice is definitely improving lots though - I could never have imagined me playing on a street fully acoustic a few weeks ago...now it feels natural. So I'm very very happy about that. :)
With the festival ending tonight it might be too quiet to make anything from tomorrow. But it is lovely here and free to stay so if I can make anything at all we might stay another few days. Then maybe Bordeaux on the way to the EJC. I've barely juggled at all...probably less so than at home even. Juggling is fun, but I really, really do want to be a famous musician. So you've gotta prioritize, I guess, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment