Monday, July 15, 2013

Campsite Superstars and a Beach Holiday

The campsite gig was very strange! We arrived up expecting a group of kids, but there were none really. There were a few pottering around after getting their facepainted but no real crowd, and no real sign of a crowd starting. So we messed around for a while and Lollibop did their car-mime act to just us, really. When we lit up the fire a few adults came along, and we had a fun night playing lots of music and stuff, but it was really strange. But hey, we got two nights free out of it.
Went busking again the next day. Nantes was good for busking - about 30 a day on my own. The others didn't manage to make anything at all though, so it did get a little tiring for me. With the free campsite the money I made was actually enough for all of us, but it's a mental thing. Like living with someone on the dole. Oh well - hopefully there'll be a town where I can't busk for some reason and they make the money instead. Then it's the easy life for David.
We did one more show for our last night - to get it free again. This time we didn't expect a crowd, so we did it near the restaurant instead. I think they enjoyed it. We packed everything up in the evening in order to avoid a similar fate to Rennes, and to my great surprise we left the campsite only an hour behind schedule. It was great. We drove down to La Rochelle, stopping in a big e-leclerc to buy a saucepan and stock up on food. We're currently staying in a car park next to the beach. It's nice - free, showers nearby and couldn't really be any closer to the sea. Funny how you'll often pay the high prices to rent an apartment near a beach, but now we just...park there..
We also bought 10 litres of wine, so that evening was spent quite drunk. We had lots of fun singing songs outside the camper and walking in. Then Finbar got far too messy though so I spent the rest of the evening minding him. Ah well - shit happens. Had no idea of the way home, so spent literally 4 hours walking around. Good exercise.
Yesterday was my birthday. It's also Bastille day though, so we figured we should try to make some money from the tourists. Dara and I went in and did okay, about 25 euro for an hour and a half or so. It's a pity though - I make about the same whether I play on my own or with the cajon, so if Dara can make any money at all doing the traffic light juggling show, it makes far more sense for us to play separately.
The three of us decided we'd get dinner out, as my parents gave me some money for my birthday - may as well treat ourselves. Had some amazing pizzas and crepes. It was really good. Too good. Now I want to eat good food again. Just ate a steak in a restaurant. It's still kinda my birthday. Don't judge me.
The party was really good last night, we just drank on the street going from gig to gig. It's a big music festival called Francofolies here at the moment. Music on every corner. We must have danced at every single location. Just the three of us, dancing the night away. We made some friends and all walked back to the camper, where some of us (not me!) swam at dawn. It was a good evening. Hard to blog about properly though, as I'm terribly hungover. I'm not even gonna spell check this right now. Later. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment