Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Cian

It was a cool evening. The air was crisp, but not biting. The breeze was soft on the skin. Dusk was turning into night as I approached. A perfect evening to walk to Tesco.
I was passing by Lidl - its yellow lights shone out through intimidating gates. I considered entering. Would Lidl have better chocolate than Tesco? It'd certainly be cheaper. I am trying to be frugal. Might be nicer, too. Was it worth the sacrilege? Would Tesco know what I had done?
I was shook from my thoughts by a voice. Cian. A blog reader. Someone who knew my every move. He probably knew me better than I did. Do I even know myself? Should I read my own blog? He asked how I was. I was good. He jokingly asked if I was on my way to buy chocolate. Damn. I was in fact on my way to buy a bar of chocolate. I laughed and replied that I was, but I'm not sure if he believed me. Did anyone believe me? Do people think I actually have other reasons for going to Tesco? Do people believe anything I tell them? Should they?
I asked how he was, how his job was going - I recalled that last time I had talked to him, that he had started a new job in the middle of nowhere for some sort of drinks company, which would involve travelling.
I remember the time almost exactly. It was an evening in October, and I had gone out for a walk. No specific reason or direction - this was before the chocolate began. I happened upon Stephen Sharpe and Katie O'Connor, sitting outside a Cafe and drinking a coffee at the end of Shop St. They invited me to sit and have one, too. I hadn't really ever talked much to either of them at this point - only a few brief and drunken encounters at open mics. They were two of my favourite musicians in Galway, and I was almost giddy to get to hang out with them.
We sat and talked about singing - Stephen was singing in a choir and they were considering having a concert in a field near Claddagh for Christmas. He was trying to convince Katie to join. I considered it too; I loved singing in the choir during my first year in university. But I was so busy. Between a full time job, juggling practice and music practice there was no room for another trade to not-master.
A few minutes later Shane, from the band Belafonte, walked past with a few friends. They invited us for pints. And hey - it was late in the evening - why not? I was trying not to drink that weekend but it sounded fun. And let's face it - I'm easy.
In O'Connell's pub on Eyre Square we ordered our first pints. Stephen and I had a Carlsberg, while Katie had a Bulmers. I think. The night would turn quite messy later, so the details are hard to recall now, 7 months on..sitting there I was introduced to Cian and his girlfriend, Caoimhe. They both seemed lovely. Caoimhe told me about Cian's new job, and how it meant he'd get to travel all about the place. So that's how I knew. But I digress.
(Back to last night) Cian replied that he was actually applying for a new job now, in Dublin. Having recently broken up with my girlfriend due to long-distance the first thing that popped into my mind was would they move together or would they live apart? Dublin's not so far, anymore. I didn't ask though. It was hardly relevant really - too easy to let the world revolve around oneself. I invited him to Tesco, but he declined - he was simply trying to stay out of the house for as long as possible, as his girlfriend was studying for an exam in the morning. Shouldn't that have meant he could come to Tesco? I didn't push it.
We said our goodbyes and went on our merry way. A few seconds later I heard my name being called and turned around. "Fancy a pint?" He said. I thought about it quickly. I'd never had a pint with Cian. Maybe it could spawn a new friendship. I don't have many friends in Galway anymore. Though then again I'm leaving in a month, I probably shouldn't make any more, in fairness. What was Cian like? Maybe we'd get on like a house on fire. Maybe we'd hate one another - a pint could lead to a horrible abusive future of lies and not-texting-back. But I'd already had a pint with my sister. And I wanted chocolate. I declined, and kept on walking.
I've left out a small but all-important part in this story though. Just as I said my first goodbye, Cian turned and said "You'd better not feature this in your blog!".

So I thought I'd write a whole post about it. Yep, I'm that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment