Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The New Way

So I don't really have anything to write today. Went to Fast and Furious. It was epic. But that was obvious. Instead, here's an article I wrote a few weeks ago with the intention of founding my own religion. Someday I hope to write more.





Pushing It

For some time now I’ve been concerned about religion. I don’t mean simply interested, intrigued or even illusioned - concerned is definitely the right word. What happens when we die? Where did we come from? I’ve spent far more time considering these questions than I care to admit. Having a scientific background, I do tend to sit with the atheists. It makes the most sense. But it still isn’t quite enough for me. I don’t feel fulfilled.

But maybe that’s just it. Have we ever considered that perhaps the best religion to follow isn’t a religion at all? Consider dieting. Everyone I know has tried some sort of regimental diet at some point in their lives. Be it to lose weight, to gain weight, to be more healthy, or just for the heck of it. Whatever your opinions on various diets and dieting itself, it’s immediately obvious that whichever diet you choose, the easiest diet to stick to is one which does not impede on your lifestyle. One which you don’t need to think about. If you do need to think about it regularly, then you try and change your lifestyle to suit that diet. Thus long-term diets tend to be called “Lifestyle Choices”. Fair enough.

But what about religion? Think about it. A good Christian doesn’t think about going to church every Sunday. It’s automatic. A good muslim doesn’t mind praying five times a day - it’s just what they do. Seems to me like whichever religion you do choose should be one which fits your lifestyle, or, you should change your lifestyle to fit whichever religion you choose. That’s all fine. If you can find the right religion for you.

We need religion. Opiate for the masses..divine guidance...whatever. We’ve had it for a very long time and it’s not going anywhere. But it is changing. Society is becoming more and more secular each decade. People worry about morals being lost in children - who is to instill values if Jesus has been replaced by a football game on Sundays? Does anyone really, truly believe in a God anymore? That’s a question I’m not going to argue here, but it brings me to my point. Does it matter? Do we need to care about whether there’s a God or not these days?

I often think about Scientology. It amazes me. Some of the beliefs are truly ridiculous. But I would become a Scientologist tomorrow if I had the money. In the same way 1000 years ago I might have bought my way into Bishophood. Being a top-tier Scientologist isn’t about the religion. It’s about associating with other top-tier Scientologists. It’s a golf club. Only they don’t play golf. It’s much more important.

I propose a new religion. We extract this increasingly thin layer of belief in some supernatural being. I’m not saying there is or isn’t a God - it’s just irrelevant to this religion. I’m also not saying you can’t be a Christian, muslim or atheist and still join this religion. According to the Oxford English dictionary, religion is “ [count noun] a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion:”. So let’s do it, let’s just not make it about God. Let’s make it about "pushing it". In every sense. Getting rich, getting fit, getting promoted, getting happy. Whatever it is you want in life. My passion is pushing it. With the world getting smarter, fitter and healthier, I believe and hope there are plenty of others like me.

And I intend to steal every dollar of their money.

No comments:

Post a Comment